Yoga is a group of physical, mental and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. The health benefits of yoga in daily life are well known all over the world. Gradually, yoga exercises for pregnant women is also gaining prevalence globally and more and more people are engaging with the same.
The top 10 benefits of yoga practice are as follows:
- All round fitness: One is truly healthy when they are not only physically fit but also emotionally and mentally balanced. As the famous Sri Sri Ravi Shankar says, “Health is not a mere absence of disease. It is a dynamic expression of life- in terms of how joyful, loving and enthusiastic you are.”
- Weight loss: Sun salutations or the Surya Namaskar and the Kapal bhati pranayama are some ways to help a reduction in weight with yoga. Moreover, with regular yoga, one tends to become more sensitive to the kind of food thet the body yearns for and when.
- Inner Peace: We all tend to love visiting serene and peaceful spots as a way to reduce stress. Little do we realise, however is that peace can be found right within us and we can take a mini vacation any time of the day. Yoga is one of the best known ways to calm a disturbed mind and is often prescribed to those suffering from different mental ailments.
- Stress Relief: A few minutes of yoga is another way of significantly reducing stress that accumulates both in the body and in the mind.
- Improved Immunity: Yoga significantly helps to improve the immunity of the body. Yogic postures and asanas massage organs and strengthen muscles while breathing techniques release stress, thereby improving immunity.
- Better Relationships: Yoga is known to help improve relationships, whether with your spouse, friends or other loved ones. As yoga helps to destress and ensures a happier and contended mind. This on other hand, makes it easier to share special bonds and keep your cool which is essential in all important relationships in your life.
- Better Flexibility: The various yoga postures and asanas stretch out different muscles in the body. You only need to include it in your daily routine for it to show impeccable results. Further, it also helps to maintain a better posture. Each yoga asana as well as meditation focuses on conscious awareness of posture. Keeping a key check on posture can help prevent many ailments from occurring in the future such as back aches, osteoporosis etc.
- Living with greater awareness: Lastly, yoga keeps the mind engaged which helps in greater overall awareness in day to day life.
These are just the benefits of yoga in general, in addition to this yoga greatly helps pregnant women in many ways. It helps to better adapt the body and the mind to the various changes the pregnant body is undergoing. This includes a strengthening of muscles, breathing for relaxation which becomes essential during the time of labour. In addition to this, yoga exercises for pregnant women have benefitted them immensely and it is due to this that the number of prenatal yoga classes available throughout the world are increasing day by day.